Friday, September 25, 2009

Quinoa salad

Expecting outrage from my children and comments about being forced to eat third world country food from my husband, I made this beautiful salad for dinner. I'd never tried quinoa but I'd heard about it at every food storage enrichment class I've ever attended. Quinoa is a supergrain that's high in protein but relatively low in carbs for a grain. So this is what I made and it was so good! I did get the expected reaction from my kids but Ron was completely open-minded and said he liked it. The recipe is at epicurious.com and its called Black Bean and Tomato Quinoa. This salad was beautiful to me because it was healthy and colorful and tasted great!

5 comments:

Jenn said...

I saw quinoa at Costco and considered giving it a try. Now I just might do it!

Lori said...

Jen, thank you for inspiring me today! I will try harder to be aware of all of the beautiful things in life and share them too!

Anne Marie said...

So glad to be back in touch with you, friend. This salad looks amazing. I have been experimenting too with some healthy recipes, and I love trying new foods.

janellelee said...

jen, i love your couches!!! that room looks so elegant! i think that this a wonderful idea for a blog!!

Ryan said...

Yeah Jen, this is a really good idea. Good to hear from you and your family. Do you know what kind of food is surprisingly amazing? Depression Era food. Beef and Hash; Fried Egg Sandwich; Oatmeal.