Saturday, October 03, 2009

"Heidi"


I read this book this week and noticed something interesting when I finished. I was in a REALLY good mood (and I hadn't taken Excedrin for a headache nor was my entire house clean all at once). I felt happy and I felt like being kind and loving to my family when I finished this book. I don't know how many books I've read in my life that I could say had that kind of effect on me. Not many. So I think this book is beautiful.

I never really read "Heidi" when I was young--I started it and thought it was boring. In trying recently to build a library with the "best books" I bought it and I think its beautiful because its an uplifting and sweet story filled with vivid descriptions of the Swiss Alps (which I've been to) and themes I could relate to (the loss of one's parents, repentance/redemption, health/sicknes, the simple life, etc.) I'd like to find more books like this for me...and for my kids who read constantly but read a lot of stuff that isn't as great.

2 comments:

Anne Marie said...

I haven't read that one in years. I'll have to give it another try one of these days. (It would really help if I had a girl to read it to...can't really imagine my boys going for it.) I highly recommend The Penderwicks...it's kind of like a modern-day Little Women. Not to mention, it won a National Book Award.

Anne Marie said...

Hey, Jen. To answer your question about Leven Thumps...yes, I would recommend them. The first one is the best in my opinion. For me personally, the series drags on a little, but my son loved all of them. They're great for probably age 10 and up. Taylor and Jared met the author at a book signing...very nice guy, and the author has a great imagination. I guess he's LDS too.